Saturday 16 April 2011

The maiden voyage...

Ok, so I've had blogs before.  I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find them.  But this one is new...this one is tasty.  This one I'm sooooo excited about!

You see, my new years resolution didnt involve the typical 'i want to lose the same x amount of pounds that I wanted to lose last year but never did'.  I've used that resolution far too many times.  I've lost 25+ lbs, but its the same 5 lbs over and over and over again!

Can you relate?

So this year I decided to do something different.  My resolution was 2 fold:

a)  Cook 1 meat free meal a week (has become our Meat Free Monday)
b)  Cook at least one new recipe a week. 

Ok, I thought, this shouldnt be too hard.  Actually its been quite easy and fun!  Granted I'm getting to the point where I need to find more creative meat-free meals other than pasta and soup, but other than that I'm having a blast!  And averaging more than 1 new recipe a week too.  Usually its 2-3 new ones!.  I didnt know how the fam would react to it, but they seem to love it (with the exception of the 'night of the turkey chili with sweet potato topper'...ya...that wont happen again...)

So I thought the next step would be to blog my progress.  It seems whenever I post a pic on facebook about some dish I've made people seem to comment.  So why not put everything in one blog and its all right there.  Tied up with a neat little bow.

That being said.  Here's the first entry.  Its the mini-babe's favorite meal and one that the babe requests as well.  BEEF AND BROCCOLI (yes, my son loves broccoli - raw and cooked.  Score one for mom!)

1/3 c oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1/3 c. sherry (i've omitted this in the past and used beef stock instead.  turns out fine)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar (again i've omitted this sometimes or used brown sugar.  its fine)
1 tsp cornstarch
1 lb beef cut into stir fry strips
2 tbs vegetable oil (more if needed)
1 thin slice fresh ginger root (keep it in the freezer - it lasts longer!)
1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
1 lb broccoli cut into florets (I buy the bag of washed broccoli at the store.  saves the chopping time!)

1.  Whisk first 6 ingredients together.  Place beef in a sealable container (ziploc bag or tupperware container).  Add sauce mixture to meat and let marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer.

2.  Heat veg oil in a fry pan and stir the ginger and the garlic in the oil to flavour it.  Let sizzle for a few minutes then remove and discard..  Add the broccoli to the fry pan and cook until bright green (5-7 minutes).  remove and keep warm.

3.  Add the beef to the fry pan and cook until no longer pink (about 5 minutes).  Add the cooked broccoli back to the pan and stir until the beef and broccoli is heated through (about 3 minutes).  Serve over brown rice and enjoy!



yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment