Monday 25 April 2011

Projectile Blogging


What a week! Honestly, if I would’ve know last week was going to roll out the way it did I would’ve just crawled back into bed and thrown the blankets over my head and told everyone I’m not coming out until the Easter bunny is gone!

Between feeling queasy, a crazy week at work AND a child who not only exploded out one end for 3 days straight, but also projectile vomited all over in a moving vehicle I wanted out of last week as fast as I could! But oh well…such is life. And I now know how to clean up projectile vomit in a vehicle (make sure it happens in your husbands truck that’s how! Lol!)

Anyway, you’d think that with all this illness running rampant in our house that would deter my cooking quest….HECK NO! I stayed home from work with the wee one on Monday and that allowed me to watch some of my favorite daytime shows…cooking shows of course! And lo and behold guess who was on Rachael Ray that day? Gwyneth Paltrow! Queen GOOP herself! She was promoting her new cookbook ‘My Fathers Daughter’ and chatted about her inspiration for the cookbook – her dad.

After watching the show and seeing how she keeps her dads memory alive, it struck me – that’s kind of what I’m doing. Ms. Paltrow said that she cant even dare to make her dad’s famous pancakes because it brings tears to her eyes – they’re still HIS pancakes! I feel the same way about my dad and some of his dishes he used to make. His spaghetti sauce was legendary, and no matter how hard I try I can never make it quite like he did (sorry mom – neither can you or Robin!).

It’s a tradition ever since dad passed away in 2009 that on his birthday we all get together and make his favorite meal – spaghetti with meat sauce. It’s a way of honouring his memory and sharing stories of him and keeping him still in our hearts and lives. We all get melancholy at certain points in the evening, but it always comes back to laughter and singing (usually the beatles or the rolling stones) and food.

(I guess that’s where I get it from)

Ok so on last weeks menu was the following:

Salsa Soup with Double Decker Cheese Quesadillas

*the soup was fairly good, and after making it I turned to the dude and said ‘I just realized something. That soup was completely vegan!’. To which he replied ‘ya, but we made up for that with all that cheese on the quesadillas’. How true how true!

Polynesian Apricot Chicken
*With smoked paprika, chili powder and various other spices you would think this dish would be full of flavour and deliciousness. Well….it wasn’t. I can’t believe how unbelievably bland this turned out. The write up said ‘a blend of sweet and heat’. Well there wasn’t. Its was dull and boring…blech.

Bolognese with Pappardelle
*wow this went a looooooong way! I made it on Thursday night and had enough for leftovers plus to freeze (which I unthawed and ate within 24 hrs!). It was creamy and beefy and delish! And it had vegetables in it too! Super healthy and yum!

Boneless Chicken Cacciatore
*ummm....I know this was on the list for last week, but with all the Easter gatherings and other people making food this didn’t get made. I still have all the ingredients to this will be my slow cooker ‘I-don’t-want-to-worry-about-supper-on-Friday-when-I-get-home-from-work’ meal. Take 2.

With all the sickies finally healthy I made what has become a family favorite for breakfast on Sunday. You’ve seen me post pictures of them before on facebook, but here’s the recipe. It’s the Whole Grain Oatmeal Pancakes! Super healthy!


Ultimate Whole Grain Oatmeal Pancakes
1 c. whole grain flour
1 c. oats
2 tbsp brown sugar (omit if you want)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ c milk
2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs

Mix together until smooth. Let sit 5 minutes for the baking soda to start doing its work. Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium high. Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Using a 1/4c measuring cup scoop the batter onto the pan. Brown on both sides and serve hot.


On the menu for this week:

Spaghetti Limone Parmagianno
(from Gwenyth Paltrow’s new cookbook. I found the recipe on an app on my iphone!)

Homemade Chicken Fingers with home made French fries

Creole Meatloves with Trinity Gravy and Buttermilk Sweet Potatoes
(giving sweet potatoes another try. Wish me luck!)

Boneless Chicken Cacciatore
(here we go again!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh no that does not sound like a fun week! Projectile baby sounds soooo bad. My oldest is at a point of going in the bucket and if it's over night she doesn't even call us! My youngst gets it once and it's gone! :> enjoyed reading your food recipe week. Meatless day sounds good. I do that often too, but because I am lazy! :> Hope this week is better!

    ReplyDelete