Sunday 1 May 2011

The APP factor...

It was a good week.  A couple of change ups (we weren't home for supper on Monday so Tuesday became our meat free day of the week) and everything else went pretty much as smooth as can be expected.  With one surprise...

I'll admit, last week when I mentioned making Gwyneth Paltrow's recipe for Spaghetti Limone Parmaggiano it was with trepidation.  Usually when a celeb comes out with a cookbook I'm thrilled at first, but after trying some of the selections I'm left disappointed and the book either collects dust or is handed off to a family member or sold at a garage sale.  Thats why I was kind of skeptical of Queen Goop...until I made her pasta.  It was sooooooooooooooooooo good!  Tasty and light and filling and easy to prepare all at once!  And not only for me, but the rest of the family couldn't get enough.  I even caught myself saying that it would be contender for the next time I make supper for the extended family!  I KNOW!  It was THAT good!

I didnt find her recipe from when she appeard on Rachael Ray last week, I found it on a handy-dandy app on my iPhone.  I heart my iPhone...it may be a hand me down from my hubs (and 'fingers crossed' I'll get another hand me down when the iPhone 5 comes out in the fall), but its something I'm finding i'm using more and more for more than just calls.

When I first got the phone I thought 'cool!  I can play music on my phone now too!'.  But oh, how its become so much more!  With apps like 'Epicurious', 'Starbucks', 'All Recipes', 'Listpro', 'Convert' and various yoga apps (I could seriously go on for days!), my phone has become my go to place for new recipes, converting measures, checking up on news and other fun stuff!  And thats where I found Gwyneth's recipe.  While searching Epicurious for new vegetarian recipes I stumbled upon her recipe and decided to give it a go.  If you're looking for a new cooking app - definitely check Epicurious out.  Well worth it.

So this weeks reviews -

The creole meatloves were ok, and I think I'm going to give up on trying to feed my family sweet potatoes.  I love them, but the others...lets just say I've got LOTS of leftover sweet potatoes.  The homeade chicken fingers and fries are a much loved staple in our home and the slow-cooker boneless chicken cacciatore was good at best - my dads from scratch recipe blows it out of the water, but this one was an ok 3rd place.

And well - you know how I feel about the Spaghetti Limone Parmaggiano!

Try it!  You'll agree :)

Spaghetti Limone Parmagianno

3/4 box spaghetti (I used whole grain)
Coarse salt
1 lemon
1 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
fresh ground black pepper
2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4c pasta water (to thin)
Handful of fresh basil leaves


Cook pasta according to package directions.

While pasta is cooking grate the zest from the lemon into a bowl.  Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl, being careful to make sure no seeds get in.  Add the cheese, pepper and pinch of salt.  Mix in the olive oil to form a wet paste.

When the spaghetti is cooked, add 2-3 tbsp's of the reserved pasta water to the cheese mixture and stir.  Strain spaghetti and return to the pot.  Add the cheese sauce and toss thoroughly (add 1-2 tbsp of pasta water if necessary so that the sauce coats each strand.  Roughly tear in the basil leaves.  Serve with a fresh grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of extra parmesan.  Enjoy


*My version - I added 2 cloves of grated garlic to the cheese mixture.  I couldn't help myself.   I have a habit of putting garlic in everything!  lol!


On the menu for this week:

Enchilada Casserole (Meat free Monday!)
Bacon Burgers with Smoked Gouda and Onions (first bbq of the season!)
Fajita Chilaquiles Casserole (for someone who's made a total of 3 casseroles in her married life, I'm making 2 this week?  wha??????)
Mediterranean Chicken Breast with Wild Rice (slow cooker)


Have a great week!  Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment